Instructor Brianna Pugh's electric energy on the bike would be no surprise if it weren't for 1 tiny detail, she's rides with a baby bump! That's right. She is expecting her first lil' rockstar in May. We asked Bri to share her top 5 tips of riding while pregnant before she gives birth to her baby girl, Miss Marley Rae.
What are your top 5 tips to riding while pregnant?
- Wear a Heart Rate Monitor. Dr Prestia (who I seriously could not live without) stressed the importance of keeping my heart rate at a certain level during workouts so I wear a Fitbit gifted to me by my (awesome) in-laws at the beginning of my pregnancy. :)
- Keep Cool. Riders tell me the front row is the coolest spot in the studio which means I would definitely book those bikes & rock our FRONT ROW shirt! LOL It seems like I break a sweat quicker since I entered the 3rd trimester so sometimes I hop off my bike to cool down.
- Stay Hydrated. I drink AT LEAST 2 bottles of water per 45 minute sweat session.
- Eat pre and post workout. This has been tricky and I'm sure it's different for each person. I always eat something light like toast or a banana before my classes to prevent nausea but when it's over I'm so hungry and CRAVING protein so I make sure to eat whole food nutrition within 30 minutes.
- Know your limits. As a collegiate athlete, I'm trained to give 110% every time because there are no limits. Adjusting to pregnancy and everything that comes with it has been challenging but I'm growing a beautiful, healthy baby so this is also an exercise in listening to my body. It's a new discipline. Adjust your intensity level and pace according to what your body is telling you....it's OKAY to slow down or even take a breather off the bike if necessary. Remember if you feel ill at any time to alert the instructor and they will be able to assist you.
Ultimately, continuing my commitment to lead a healthy lifestyle including indoor cycling during pregnancy is keeping my energy level up, alleviating aches & pains, helping me stay positive and proving to be one of the best things I can do for me and my baby.
Congratulations to all the expecting ROLLdiers out there! I can't wait to see you in the studio!